Monday, August 11, 2014

Viking Helmets

 Materials:
    Large Carboard Boxes
    Hot Glue Gun & Glue
    Scissors
    Masking Tape
    Duct Tape


To start off measure your child's head.  If most of the guests are about their age you can make them all the same size.

My daughter is a bit older so I had to make one special for her.

After cutting out each section for the hat I used hot glue to seal it into a band about 4" wide and long enough to wrap around my son's head.



 Next I cut 1" strips that were long enough to go across the helmet band but leave a bit of height (gentle arch).

 These were secured in a criss-cross pattern with hot glue.
 Next for the horns.  Draw out a shape on the cardboard that you like for your horn shape.  Remember to leave a small tab at the attachment point.
 Cutting a hole in your helment band, poke through the tab of the horn.  Next you need to spread the cardboard out flat by splitting the tab in half.
 Tape each side of the tab flat to the inside of the helmet band.
 Your next step is to wrap the helmet horns in masking tape.
Once the horns are wrapped you can wrap the helmet band.  I found it much easier to run the duct tape lengthwise around the band.  I had to make slits in the tape to work around the horns but it went much faster than completely wrapping the band in tape.

Don't forget to wrap the crossbars going over the top of the helmet.













This one wasn't quite my size, but here is the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment