Sunday, February 23, 2014

Spaghetti Cupcakes

I've seen these "joke" cupcakes all over Pinterest and decided to give it a try.

My church was having an all church birthday party.  A special Sunday where we set up 12 tables (one per month) and each table has a cake.  The members of the church sit at the table with their birth month and share a birthday cake together.

I decided to volunteer for April and have a little "April Fools" fun.

I made spaghetti and meatballs and it really did look like I made dinner instead of dessert!





Materials:
   Box Cake Mix & ingredients to make
   Cupcake Papers
   Cupcake Pans
   Foil baking pan with domed lid
   Cream Cheese Frosting
   Piping bag & #3 tip
   Strawberry jelly (no junks)
   Ferrero Rocher chocolates
   White Chocolate Bar & grater

I started out with a standard box cake mix and cooked according to the directions.

Once they were fully cooled I whipped up a batch of my new favorite recipe for cream cheese frosting.  I decided not to add food coloring to the mix since the butter in this recipe makes it slightly off-white to begin with.  I refrigerated the icing until it was firm again before trying to make these.

I lightly frosted each cupcake with a knife and then place it into a foil baking dish that had a domed plastic cover.  I was only able to fit 20 in the pan I bought - the kids were thrilled to have samples!  I then filled a piping bag and used a #3 tip to make the "spaghetti". Working quickly I randomly swirled the icing all over the cupcakes.  I held the piping tip about 6-8" off the cupcakes to allow the continuous flow to twirl and bend in a more random way.  I took a break after a light layer and refrigerated the frosting in the bag and the cupcakes to be sure to keep the form of the frosting.  If this gets too warm - the noodles will lose their shape - so keep it cool as long as possible!

Once I had used all the frosting on the cupcakes - even making noodle to bridge the gaps between cupcakes so it looks like a full pan of spaghetti - I got the "sauce" out.  Strawberry jam without fruit pieces worked for me.  To make the jelly "runny" like sauce I spoon whipped the jelly in the jar before gently spooning it on the noodles.  Try not to move the jelly around too much or you'll lose the shape on your noodles.  Cover the center and dribble it around so it looks like you have ladled sauce on the noodles.  Then take each Ferrero Rocher chocolate and roll in the jelly.  Place on the noodles randomly.  Finish it off by shredding white chocolate on the whole thing to look like Parmesan cheese.

Enjoy.  Everyone love my "April Fools" cake....it was super tasty too!


No comments:

Post a Comment