Wednesday, February 5, 2014

School Valentines

I wanted to help my daughter make something for her class Valentines that didn't involve unhealthy snacks.

We decided on rubber-band bracelets.  You know the ones, all the kids are wearing them.  There are YouTube videos all over on how to make different patterns.  We watched a "how-to" video on the fishtail pattern for the bracelets.



I designed cards using graphics I found free online, text that was free online and shapes that were available in photo-editor software.  I also used a free word-search found online to decorate the back of the card.  I was able to print double sided to fit 8 cards per sheet of card stock.



After my daughter made all the bracelets and I printed the cards we prepared for assembly.

I found that a lobster pick made just the right size hole for tying the loom bracelet to the card.

I cut 6 inch lengths of colored baker's twine purchased from a vendor on an auction site.



By placing two holes together closely and near the top we were able to thread the baker's twine through the card and tie the loom bracelet to the Valentine.


My daughter than wrote each student's name on the card.  We made pink themed cards and bracelets for the girls in her class and blue themed cards and bracelets for the boys in her class.



To give the teachers a Valentine that was cute but again not made of junk food we found this idea online.

Using another free graphics pack, free fonts, and shapes in my photo editor software I was able to make this teacher Valentine.

I was able to fit four of these Valentines on a single sheet of card stock.

My daughter then used a glue stick to glue a bag of tea to the Valentine.

The tea bag covers up the heart and the word "tea", but when the tea is used it should be visible again.

My daughter then wrote her "to:" and "from:" on the back of each card.

Hope this helps inspire you to make a Valentine that is both thoughtful and sweet without using candy or junk food.





No comments:

Post a Comment