Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thankful Treats

Cornucopias 

Inspired by the post at The Craft Patch I decided to try these little treats as gifts for my daughter's school staff.

Materials Needed:
Small waffle or sugar cones
Small candies (I used chocolate covered fruit)
Rubber bands
Squares of plastic wrap
Some type of ribbon

1. Soak the tip of the waffle cone in warm water for about 20 seconds. I put a few drops of water inside the cone as well.  (Be sure to use a tall glass so you can dip about half way up the cone).

2. Remove from water and microwave the wet waffle cone for about 20 seconds. (BE CAREFUL!!  It comes out steaming and the wet end is very hot.)

3. Roll the softened tip of the cone and hold it in place for about 20 seconds.  I used chopsticks.  I could pinch the end between the sticks and roll it pretty easily without burning my fingers (I tried the pencil technique mentioned on The Craft Patch but found the cone too hot at first to touch and once it cooled off a bit it became too stiff to roll).

4. After the cone has hardened completely (I left them to cool/dry for over an hour and then left in a seal-able plastic bag overnight to be sure there was no moisture left), fill with candies, cover the opening with plastic wrap, use the rubber band to secure the wrap, and tie a ribbon around to hide the rubber band.












Gift Tags 
Materials Needed
Craft paper
scissors
adhesive
pen

I used things that I had around the house.  Mainly I raided my scrapbook supplies.  I used a shape cutter and oval and rectangle templates.  I used scallop scissors to detail the ovals.  I then used scrapbook double-sided adhesive to stick the layers together.  You could use a craft glue stick too.

The lettering is just my attempt to mock a font that I have in my computer.  The tag reads "Thankful for you" on the reverse I put who it was from and an allergy warning (just in case).

To finish the entire project I placed the cornucopia in a plastic craft bag.  I rolled the top down, making sure to squeeze out the air, then secured with a small piece of tape.  I then took my "Thankful" tag and folded the top over the top of the bag and stapled in place (making sure to staple the bag as well so that it stayed together).



No comments:

Post a Comment