Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Project for your little car-lover's room

This was a very easy project to make.

Supplies:
Inexpensive plastic-bodied toy cars (matchbox size)
Hot Glue
Hot Glue Gun
Shadow Box
Picture hanging hardware
Picture hanging hook
hammer

Source your supplies as your budget allows.  The cars were a gift to my son from last Christmas.  He had over 200 cars and I couldn't handle cleaning them all up any more.



I had him select the cars for his special letter.  Allowing him to participate in the craft made the separation from his toys much easier.

Test you layout before adding glue.  My son helped arrange the cars by color and enjoyed being able to decide how his letter looked.

I found that to make the cars mount properly I needed to place hot glue in each wheel-well to lock the wheels first.  Glue on the center of the car just didn't work for keeping it stuck to the backing.  Then I glued the wheels to the backing of the shadowbox.

Allow for the glue to cool completely.   I waited an hour.  While you are waiting you can install the hanging mechanism on the back of the shadowbox frame.  I choose a simple picture hanger nailed to the frame but you can also use eye-screws and picture wire if you wish.  After the cars were set and the glue fully dried I placed the backing into the shadowbox and then hung in my sons room.

No comments:

Post a Comment