Saturday, February 6, 2016

Mint Cookie Truffles

It's that time of year again!   Those cute little girls selling fabulous cookies are knocking at your door.

For a Valentine Day Chocolate bake sale I decide to make mint cookie truffles.   I used thin mints because I have a girl scout and can't resist filing the freezer.

I found some inspiration on Pinterest but decided to try something different.   I was able to make 5 dozen truffles.

2 boxes of thin mint cookies (9oz packages)
1 container of cake frosting (I prefer the brand that uses real sugar)
1 bag dark cocoa candy melts (12oz)
Wax paper
Chocolate dipping tool

In a large zip-close bag or a food processor pulverize the cookies into a fine dust.

I started by adding only 1/2 the can of frosting.   Get your hands in there and work the frosting and cookie mixture until it will hold together in a ball.   While I worked I added more frosting slowly to the mix to make sure the cookie crumbles held together.  In the end I used 3/4 of the frosting.

 Form the cookie mixture into small balls and place on a wax lined cookie tray.  Refrigerate for 30 min.

Melt candy melts according to the directions on the package.  Spread a large sheet of wax paper on your counter.   Dip each cookie ball and cover fully.   Scoop the cookie ball out of the chocolate with your dipping tool and tap the tool on the side of the bowl.   This will remove excess chocolate.   Wait until the chocolate stops running off the ball and then place it on the wax paper to set. If you don't tap off the excess you will run out of chocolate before all the balls are coated.

After the chocolate sets you can either add decorations, like a contrast color drizzle on top,  or colored sugar.  I chose to leave them plain this time.

These have just the right amount of sweetness with the dark chocolate coating.   First test the cookie mixture still had done crunch to it!   We'll have to see what they are like in a few days.
Be sure to store these in a cool location or in the refrigerator.   Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment